General Secretary John Smith’s term of office expires on 16 October 2017. In accordance with current trade union legislation, the Executive Committee (EC) has announced that an election for this position will take place. Proposals for nominations will be considered by members at Regional Nomination Meetings, to be held on the following dates:
- East & South East England: at 13:00 on Monday 16 January 2017 at MU HQ, 60-62 Clapham Road, London SW9 0JJ
- Wales & South West England: at 11:00 on Sunday 22 January 2017 at the Avon Gorge Hotel, Sion Hill, Clifton, Bristol BS8 4LD
- North of England: at 11:00 on Monday 23 January 2017 at the Mechanics Institute, 103 Princess Street, Manchester M1 6DD
- Midlands: at 13:00 on Tuesday 24 January 2017 at The Crescent Theatre, Brindleyplace, Sheepcote Street, Birmingham B16 8AE
- London: at 13:00 on Thursday 26 January 2016 at MU HQ, 60-62 Clapham Road, London SW9 0JJ
- Scotland & Northern Ireland: at 11:00 on Sunday 29 January 2017 at Many Studios, 3 Ross Street, Glasgow G1 5AR
All members are invited to attend their Regional Nomination Meeting in order to take part in the selection process. Retired members should refer to p.48 of the Winter 2016 edition of The Musician magazine or contact their Regional Office for guidance.
Members may only attend and vote at their own Region’s Nomination Meeting.
Each Region can nominate only one candidate, and no member can vote for the nomination of more than one candidate. A nominated candidate must have been a member of the Union throughout the previous five years, or must have had at least five years continuous employment with the MU immediately prior to nomination. In addition, they must confirm in writing that they consent to be nominated, and that, if elected, they agree to serve on such terms as the EC may require.
Regional Nomination Meetings
Proposals for nominations will be considered at Regional Nomination Meetings. Any member may attend their Region’s Nomination Meeting. Proposal forms will not be made available at the meeting, as all proposals are required to have been made in advance. It is not necessary for proposers and seconders to attend the meeting in order to make a proposal.
If more than one nomination emerges from the Regional Nomination Meetings, a ballot of the membership will be carried out, to open on 6 March 2017 and to close on 27 March 2017.
The ballot will be undertaken using the alternative vote system, a preferential voting system in which voters rank the candidates in order of preference rather than voting for a single candidate.
The winner of the ballot will be the candidate who polls the most votes, provided that they also secure more than 50% of the votes cast. Notification of the outcome of the ballot will be included in the June 2017 edition of The Musician magazine.
The EC has appointed Popularis Ltd, 6 Nutsey Lane, Totton, Southampton SO40 3RL to act as independent scrutineer for the election.
For reference, Rule VIII (paragraphs 1-5) governs the General Secretary’s election.
For full information about the General Secretary election, please see p.48 of the Winter 2016 edition of The Musician magazine .
A large print version of this information is available on request from your Regional Office.