Like most websites, this site uses cookies. To find out more about what cookies are, and how they are used on this website, go to our Privacy Policy. If you continue to use this site, we will assume that you are happy with the website's use of cookies.

Teaching Pay & Employment

In this section you will find advice about employment status as a teacher and information on rates of pay and other rights such as holiday pay.

Teaching Rates

Union teaching rates represent a minimum you should be paid for your teaching work. If you need advice on negotiating a better fee please contact your Regional Office.

Union teaching rates run from September to September the following year.

Details on current and upcoming teaching rates can be found on the teaching rates page.

Holiday Pay

If you work as a music teacher for a third party, for example in a school, music hub or music service, you may be entitled to holiday pay.

  • If you are an employee or a worker you are legally entitled to 28 days of paid holiday a year. This includes people working full-time, part-time, or as agency workers or casual workers.
  • You are not entitled to statutory holiday pay if you are self-employed.
  • Your contract of employment may give you the right to take more than the statutory amount of paid holiday. However, it cannot give you less. If your contract gives you the right to take more than the statutory amount of paid holiday, this is called contractual holiday.
  • The law does not stipulate how much contractual holiday you should get, or whether or not it should be paid.
  • The rules on working out your holiday, if you do not work for the entire year, are complicated and we recommend you seek advice on your particular circumstances.

Bank Holidays

Workers do not have a statutory right to paid time off for bank holidays. Some employers will therefore include bank holidays within the 5 weeks of statutory leave. Unless your contract expressly says that bank holidays are paid, you should not assume paid time off.

"Rolled up" holiday pay

Employers are not permitted to pay an hourly rolled up rate of pay. Employers must separate holiday pay from the paid period of work and this should be documented in a contract, letter of employment or on a pay slip.