Like most websites, this site uses cookies. To find out more about what cookies are, and how they are used on this website, go to our Privacy Policy. If you continue to use this site, we will assume that you are happy with the website's use of cookies.

Music Publishing and Songwriting

Do I have to sign with a music publisher?

On this page you will find information about:

  • Signing with a music publisher
  • Commercial release of your songs
  • Owning copyright

You do not need to sign with a music publisher to make money from your songs. If one of your songs is commercially released and you do not have a publisher, then your name should appear under the title of the song.

Underneath your name should be the words ‘Copyright Control’ or ‘PRS for Music’ if you are a PRS member. This will tell others that you are the copyright owner of the song and have not assigned it to any music publisher.