Like most websites, this site uses cookies. To find out more about what cookies are, and how they are used on this website, go to our Privacy Policy. If you continue to use this site, we will assume that you are happy with the website's use of cookies.


Protecting your songs and compositions

At a certain point in your career, including at the early stages when you cannot secure representation, you may wish to look after your own catalogue of works and receive all publishing income directly.

To protect their works, members are encouraged to benefit from the Union's Copyright Registration Service and to apply for writer membership of PRS for Music.

You may wish to set up a publishing company, although this is not always necessary and you should seek advice from the Union before doing so. However, it is advisable to go down this route if you are representing other songwriters and composers, as well as looking after your own works.

If you set up a publishing company you will need to join PRS for Music as a publisher member and pay a higher membership fee.

For additional advice and support, MU members should contact their Regional Office.