We use technologies, such as cookies, to customise content and advertising, to provide social media features and to analyse traffic to the site. We also share information about your use of our site with our chosen social media, advertising and analytics partners. Read our cookie policy for more information.

Access to Work

Find out if you’re eligible for an Access to Work grant and how to apply

An Access to Work grant can pay for practical support if you have an impairment, health or mental health condition. It can help you to:

  • Start working
  • Stay in work
  • Move into self-employment

The grant isn’t for business start-up costs. It’s to help you do things you couldn’t otherwise do because of a condition or impairment.

The grant can pay for things like:

  • Adaptations to the equipment you use
  • Special equipment
  • Taxi fares to work if you can’t use public transport
  • A personal assistant or job coach to help you in your workplace
  • A support service if you have a mental health condition and you’re absent from work or finding it difficult to work
  • Disability awareness training for your colleagues
  • A communicator at a job interview
  • The cost of moving your equipment if you change location or job

Who can get it?

To get an Access to Work grant you must:

  • Have an impairment, health condition or mental health condition that affects your ability to work
  • Be 16 or over
  • Live in England, Scotland or Wales - there’s a different system in Northern Ireland

Your work

One of the following must apply:

  • You have a paid job
  • You’re self-employed
  • You have a job interview
  • You’re about to start a job
  • You’re starting work experience

Access to Work grants are not available for voluntary work.

Your impairment or health condition

Your Impairment or health condition must either:

  • Affect your ability to do a job
  • Mean you have to pay work-related costs, for example additional computer equipment or travel costs because you can’t use public transport

It must also either:

  • Be likely to last at least a year
  • Have lasted at least a year already

Changing jobs

Make sure you contact Access to Work if you change jobs. You may be able to:

  • Transfer equipment to a new job
  • Get a different amount of grant

You can find more information and apply for Access to Work here.