Like most websites, this site uses cookies. To find out more about what cookies are, and how they are used on this website, go to our Privacy Policy. If you continue to use this site, we will assume that you are happy with the website's use of cookies.

Professional Indemnity Insurance

Working as a teacher?

On this page you will find information about:

  • Appropriate protection for freelance work
  • Discounted rates for MU members
  • Buying cover online

The MU offers members access to a Professional Indemnity Insurance scheme at a discounted rate.

The MU has arranged an insurance scheme to protect members who provide private tuition, lecturing, coaching in a self-employed capacity.

Many teachers undertake private work (effectively in a self-employed capacity) without realising that this leaves them open to claims that could be made against arising from errors and omissions, professional negligence or other liability.

When you are working for the Local Authority or another employer, it is usual for the employer’s own liability insurance policies to provide you with appropriate protection.

But when you work outside the course of your normal employment or are self employed then you are potentially exposed to liability claims which might be brought against you personally by pupils, parents or third parties.

Instant cover available from just £53 a year (plus £5 admin fee).

To find out more about accessing a Professional Indemnity Insurance scheme, please contact your regional office.